Another treat for the party season.
- 6oz (180g – ish) chicken livers
- 2 rashers fat bacon, preferably smoked
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2oz butter (possibly more)
- A clove of crushed garlic (optional)
- Black pepper
Fry onions, crushed garlic, and bacon gently in the butter until the onions are translucent. Add the livers and fry them gently. Don’t have the heat too high. Season with pepper (there’s enough salt in the bacon so don’t add any extra). When the livers are just cooked all the way through but still a tiny bit pink, pour a slug of brandy into the pan and let it heat through for a minute or two. Feed the mixture into a liquidiser or food processor and blitz until smooth. Put into a ceramic pot and cover with some melted or clarified butter. Put a whole bayleaf in the butter topping for decoration.